UMICH-2015: Simulations & Data Analysis Break-Out Session 2
What S&DA do we need to do to support the science sections of the CMB-S4 Science Book?
- Sky model
- scalar, tensor, non-Gaussian
- Instrument/observation model(s)
- beams, band-passes, noise PSDs
- detector electronics, data acquisition
- scanning strategy, flags
- atmosphere, ground pickup
- What are the output(s) of the simulations?
- What are the analysis metrics/figures of merit?
What is the right balance between the veracity of the models and the tractability of their production and analysis?
What resources (people, codes, cycles) are available over the coming year?
Forecasting using simulations with varying balance between complexity and feasibility?
Large scale simulations with full complexity require long investment and very significant resources. How can we go beyond very basic forecasting that neglects foregrounds and systematics and defines an instrument with only a beam size, a sky coverage, and a sensitivity, without implementing the full sims? Should we try something like that?