UCSD-2019: Technical Working Group: Detectors
From CMB-S4 wikiJump to navigationJump to search
- Identify key decisions that must be made (and justified) prior to CD-1,
- Make progress on (or actually make) those decisions,
- Lay out a timeline and process for making each decision, consistent with the post-decision work and internal reviews that will be needed to complete preparations for CD-1,
- Ensure that those timelines and processes are understood and supported by the collaboration, and that we (together) believe we can follow them.
General Considerations Assessments or reviews related to key decisions should be tailored to the specific decision but are expected to cover:
- Scope - what is being assessed and what are the options? Having full “point” designs for the options may be appropriate in some cases.
- Requirements - summarize how the options meet requirements e.g. comparison table.
- Cost - compare the costs of the options, within the WBS under assessment.
- Schedule - compare the schedules for the options.
- Technical readiness level (TRL) - compare the level of technical readiness.
- R&D required - overlaps with cost, schedule and TRL. What R&D is needed in the next year, when will it be completed and who will do it?
- Risk - compare the risks of the options.
- Interfaces - it’s too early to have interfaces formally documented(ICDs). However, assess the technical, cost and schedule impact on other WBS of the options e.g. Pole infrastructure for SAT configuration options.
- Value engineering - what are the possibilities for VE, in particular cost reduction.
- Responsibilities - options for performing the work, who might be responsible, does this depend on the options being assessed.
Agenda (2 hours total)
- (30 min) Science forecasting and detectors
- (15 min) R&D plan: Current state of the plan, File:CMB-S4 Detector RD San Diego.pdf (Brenna F.)
- (15 min) Overview of current technologies. File:2019 10 16 CMBS4 DetectorTechUpdate V01.pdf (Aritoki S.)
- (30 min) Working group for action items
- Overview of schedule and interaction with TBD (Akerib)
- break out into subgroups (Irwin)
- determine what options require input
- determine what information is needed (see General Considerations)
- assign tasks and begin writing
- suggested groups
- OMT+feed architecture
- Sinuous+lenslet architecture
- phased array architecture
- impact of design/complexity
- (15 min) Update from Detector Task Force and Detector Fabrication Review (Brad B.)