SLAC-2017:Telescopes and Receiver Optics Parallel Session
Back to SLAC-2017 main page
- 1 Large Aperture Telescope Optics Parallel Session
- 2 Receiver Optics & Small Aperture Telescopes Parallel Session
- 3 Notes from sessions
- 4 Action items/Next steps
Large Aperture Telescope Optics Parallel Session
Post session talks here.
- File:Niemack Simons CDtelescopes 20170228.pdf
- File:FMatsuda Simons TMAOptics S4 v3.pdf
- File:Hills Modified Crossed Dragone.pdf
Receiver Optics & Small Aperture Telescopes Parallel Session
Post session talks here.
Notes from sessions
Take notes here.
Requirements flow from science to telescopes
what do we need to know from sims?
sensitivity vs. f_sky and foreground level
- feeds into site choice(s)
- directly linked to next two issues
beam size & sensitivity vs. freq
- min sizes of telescopes
- number of detectors in each band on each telescope size
grouping of bands on telescopes
- matched beams?
- simultaneous measurements with concentric beams?
scattering & sidelobe level, stability (mechanical & thermal)
- how to specify this
- may benefit from 2 levels of discrimination: first, experience-informed baseline requirements to narrow down the options, and then detailed 2pi or 4pi beam maps fed into observation sims to estimate systematics of the best designs
- may be different for each telescope type, frequency, site/scan strategy
- scan speed, pattern vs. freq -- pointing & tracking requirements
- does scan strategy need multiple, independent mounts?
- which telescopes require boresight rotation?
- which sources do we need to see? how often?
- do we need planets?
- do we need ground-based sources? towers? big temporary fold mirrors (a'la BICEP and Keck)?
Site & ops to telescopes
site specific conditions
- temp, seismic, insolation, rain/snow
uptime & maintainability
- do we need several telescopes/mounts?
Requirements flow within telescopes (trade studies, allocations, good practice, prejudice)
tel size vs. ell
- small tels for low ell?
reflectors vs. refractors
tel optical layout
tel mount layout
number of each type of telescope
can we tolerate panel gaps on big telescopes?
boresight rotation to fix tel errors?
Requirements flow to/from cameras
subfield cameras? (yes requires 1st lens at tel focus)
tel focal ratio (not necessarily same as at detectors)
limits/rqts on camera orientation/motion/accel
tel boresight rotation to fix residual camera beam/pol errors
- instrument rotation may be easier
drive noise (EMI, vibration, magnetic)
access to camera (frequency, specific orientation)
Action items/Next steps
Summarize action items here