SLAC-2017:FSM Small angular scales
Back to SLAC-2017 main page
Foregrounds, Systematics and Modeling: Small Angular Scales
Post session talks here.
Questions To be addressed for each small-scale science ‘probe’ (TT/TE/EE, lensing, tSZ/kSZ) towards defining measurement requirements - to start discussion/for context
How large do the large telescopes need to be?
- Current status: studies indicate 5m is sufficient for lensing (mnu and delensing) and high-ell TE/EE science (Neff), but may not be enough for cluster-derived science. Extra resolution doesn’t seem needed for cleaning TE/EE and lensing.
- To-do—push forward cluster forecasts (see lunchtime discussion).
Can we achieve science requirements given realistic atmospheric noise?
- Current status: realistic atmospheric noise consistent with Chilean observations without HWP has now been modeled and included in fisher forecasts for high-ell and lensing science. Neff/mnu parameters are not degraded.
- To-do: include multi-freq realistic atmospheric noise in tSZ/kSZ forecasts, include South Pole noise curves. Establish agreement on atmospheric noise model being used by everyone.
How many/which wavelengths do we need in the large telescopes?
(1) for TE/EE 2-pt for Neff
- Current status: indicates that three is sufficient, based on new power spectrum simulations.
- To-do: check impact of Galactic contamination
(2) for lensing (mnu/delensing) to avoid EB lensing bias
- Current status: perhaps only 90/150/220 needed, but work underway to test effect on lensing of expected non-Gaussian dust foregrounds. Might need synchrotron channels.
- To-do: continue this work, test other sims.
(3) for tSZ/kSZ (mnu/w/patchy-tau/growth/feedback)
- Current status: at least 90, 150, 220 for tSZ. Suspect 270 GHz will be beneficial but assess expected noise levels. More frequencies would help separate kSZ, especially in power spectrum for reionization.
- To-do: run cluster forecasts (for counts, tSZ power spectrum, y-maps, kSZ signal) on extragalactic sims
What are our systematic requirements for the 2pt and 4pt functions?
Some people who have things to say on these topics:
- Matthew Hasselfield - atmospheric noise model for large telescopes
Neff (TE/EE)-Discussion of Systematics and Foregrounds
- Dan Green - Overview + Beams/Pointing - slides
- Alex van Engelen - Impact of polarized dust on lensing
- Mat M. / Colin H. - Multigrequency cleaning and extra spatial filtering
- Yuuki Omori - Biases from extragalatic sources in temperature lensing
- Marcelo Alvarez - extragalactic sims
- Kevin Huffenberger (remote, 5 min) - Foregrounds and Atm noise for tSZ science slides
- Simone Ferraro - foregrounds for kSZ slides
- Lindsey Bleem - more on sims slides
Notes from session
Take notes here.
Action items/Next steps
Summarize action items here