LBNL-2020: Cold Optics
With CD-1 coming up roughly one year from now we have to move to technology selection in the next half year. To meet this need we will have to have a review midyear. This session represents a first step toward this review where we will assess the technological performance and our ability to manufacture the required optical elements.
- discuss the LAT and SAT needs for cold optics (performance and production requirements of the LAT and SAT options)
- metal mesh filters
- alumina filters and lenses
- silicon lenses
- other filters
- HWP (optional)
- describe the currently demonstrated status of the required technologies to meet both the technical and production needs.
- Is there an existing supply path? If not how do we address that risk?
- Discuss any risks to production (e.g., is the alumina or other material supplies secure?)
- What is the development path? Will it be done by CD-1 or require post CD-1 work?
- Summarize/update technical risks, R&D / simulation needs to retire those risks.
Call in via Zoom: https://lbnl.zoom.us/j/189656154
- Overview of LAT cold optics needs File:Receiver optics numerology 20200305.pdf (Niemack)
- Overview of SAT cold optics needs (Kusaka)
- filters (Tucker) File:Optical filters for S4 April 2020.pdf
- silicon lenses (Golec)
- alumina optics (mention if these coatings are applicable to sapphire)
- laminate (Vieira)
- B/K laminated coatings for alumina (Marion) File:20200401 CMBS4 epoxy coatings Dierickx.pdf
- epoxy (Hill)
- thermal spray (Lee)
- laser (Hannany)
- metamaterail (Golec)
- Production and acquisition of alumina lenses
- Ben Schmitt
- Akito (w/ input from Masaya Hasegawa @ KEK, Japan)
- Vendor: NTK technologies (formerly known as Ceratec Inc.) http://www.ntktech.com/
- Material: 99.5% LD (low loss type: https://www.ceratech.co.jp/en/product/material/alumina/a9951ld/)
- Precedent: PB2a lenses and filters, SO SAT and LATR filters.
- B/K Plastic lenses (Marion) File:20200401 CMBS4 HDPElenses Dierickx.pdf