LBNL-2020: Cold Optics
With CD-1 coming up roughly one year from now we have to move to technology selection in the next half year. To meet this need we will have to have a review midyear. This session represents a first step toward this review where we will assess the technological performance and our ability to manufacture the required optical elements.
- discuss the LAT and SAT needs for cold optics (performance and production requirements of the LAT and SAT options)
- metal mesh filters
- alumina filters and lenses
- silicon lenses
- other filters
- HWP (optional)
- describe the currently demonstrated status of the required technologies to meet both the technical and production needs.
- Is there an existing supply path? If not how do we address that risk?
- Discuss any risks to production (e.g., is the alumina or other material supplies secure?)
- What is the development path? Will it be done by CD-1 or require post CD-1 work?
- Summarize/update technical risks, R&D / simulation needs to retire those risks.
- Overview of LAT cold optics needs
- Overview of SAT cold optics needs
- filters (Tucker)
- silicon lenses (Golec)
- alumina optics (mention if these coatings are applicable to sapphire)
- laminate (Viera)
- thermal spray
- metamaterail (Golec)