Difference between revisions of "Instrument Telecon"

From CMB-S4 wiki
Jump to navigationJump to search
Line 1: Line 1:
== CMB-S4 Technology R&D Telecon 2017-10-05 Subgroup Meeting: Detector/Readout ==
+
== CMB-S4 Technology Development Telecon 2017-10-05 Subgroup Meeting: Detector/Readout ==
 
* '''Agenda'''
 
* '''Agenda'''
 
* '''Notes'''
 
* '''Notes'''

Revision as of 15:07, 4 October 2017

Contents

CMB-S4 Technology Development Telecon 2017-10-05 Subgroup Meeting: Detector/Readout

  • Agenda
  • Notes
  • Action Items

CMB-S4 Technology R&D Telecon 2017-09-28

  • R&D section in CDT report?
  • Group organization - Pick organizer
    • Combined call every 4 weeks
    • Telescope and site: Covers telescope, mount, site, power generation, etc...
    • Cryogenics, cryostats and optics: Covers cryogenics (4K and mK), cryostats, windows, filters, lenses, HWP etc..
    • Detector and readout: Covers detector (wafer and holder) and readout (warm/cold), etc...
    • Data management: Covers DAQ, data transfer, simulation, analysis, etc...
  • Ideas on how to organize and evaluate R&D topics
  • Note
    • R&D section in CDT report
      • Still in works
      • Listed categories are: Detector module, optical coupling, readout, focal plane, receiver, optics, pol mod, cryogenic, monitoring calibration validation, simulation (still need to be added)
      • Should topics in CDT be in line with 4 categories below? > It pretty much already is that way
    • Sub-group organization
      • Sub-section leads
        • Combined call: Toki (every 4th week for now. Will adjust frequency as necessary)
        • Detector and Readout: Tom (ANL), Patty (Princeton), Shawn (SLAC)
        • Data Management: Julian (LBNL), Joy (USC), Laura (Yale)
        • Cryogenics, Cryostats, Optics: Abby (Chicago), Maria (Paris)
        • Telescope and site: Come up with nominations. Suggested Akito. Experts from South Pole site would be nice as well
      • Meeting Organization
        • Toki and Zeesh to write charge and scope for each sub-groups
        • Detector team will use Thursday 9 AM (pacific) = 12 PM (eastern) slot. Please use same telecon call in as well.
        • Other groups have to find other meeting time. Unfortunately we maybe be forced to live with overlapped meeting.
        • Sub-group leads create doodle poll that matches with their schedule. Send doodle link to Toki such that we can send out one centralized email
        • Sub-group meeting next week, combined call week after
    • Organization Method
        • Risk based and alternative R&D based organization method was presented
        • Both uses very similar idea. R&D based organization is basically "opportunity tab" of risk based method. Why have two separate tabs for risk and opportunity for risk based method? How will topics in risk be evaluated against opportunity were brought up. R&D method tries to get around that by providing flat structure that bases no R&D topic
        • Pointed out that both method are necessary to do this right, but not creating too much
        • Risk assessment assumes some baseline which we could use CDT report as a base. Success of LSST could be attributed to maturity of risk/opportunity assessment matrix they had. Question of if this is right model to use at this stage of CMB-S4 when there is no solid baseline yet was brought up.
        • Sub-group to discuss to see if one model fits better (or need both), or come up with alternative way to organize R&D topics. We will discuss on combined call week after next.
        • Zeesh/Brad/Nadine to post their example on risk based approach
  • Action Items
    • Contact Akito for Telescope and site lead. Come up with South Pole site/telescope expert to co-lead (also Chile if Akito cannot)
    • Toki and Zeesh to write charge and scope for each sub-groups
    • Sub-group leads to communicate, setup doodle poll for the group, send Toki a doodle link, Toki will send out centralized doodle email
    • Keep Thursday 9 AM pacific = 12 PM eastern open for detector/readout or combined call
    • Sub-group call next week (Oct 5 for detector and readout, other groups TBD), combined call week after (Oct 12)
    • Sub-group to discuss how to organize, think about best way to organize R&D topics
    • Zeesh/Brad/Nadine to post their example on risk based approach

CMB-S4 Technology R&D Telecon 2017-09-21

  • Meeting time
    • Thursdays 9 AM ~ 10 AM (pacific), 12 PM ~ 1 PM (eastern)
    • Meeting frequency: Weekly
  • Output
    • Create opportunity, impact, risk assessment matrix
      • Matrix to organize impact R&D would have on science, schedule, and cost with likelihood of its occurrence
    • Relatively short document (compare to the technology book) that describes R&D priority for the CMB-S4
      • (Toki's view) We can work on excel sheets, but we should put together a written document
    • Timeline - Next S4 meeting is in 6 month. March 5 - 9 (doodle! https://doodle.com/poll/r77rgs67fracgi6f)
    • (Toki's view) Internal draft/basic idea/ agreement on material by then - Polishing will probably take a bit longer
  • Organization
    • Form sub-group to go into categories in detail - Pick a person to organize sub-group telecon
    • Combined call once a month (approximately every 4th call) to coordinate/ cross-calibrate across groups
    • Let's have another combined call next week before we split into sub-groups
  • Categories to cover
    • Telescope - This also includes telescope control and monitoring software
    • Optics - Lenses, HWP, Filter etc....
    • Detector - Fabrication and validation
    • Readout - Warm and cold electronics
    • Cryogenics - to 4K, and sub-Kelvin, cryostat design, vacuum window
    • Data acquisition for bolometer data, thermometry, house keeping
    • Simulation/Analysis/DAQ assessment
      • Should this be included in instrument heavy R&D plan? Or should it be covered by Sim/Comp working group separately?
    • Other categories?
  • Notes from the Meeting
    • On output of this study
      • We will work on this using excel spread sheet. Report from this study should be written document. It will be also helpful to prepare power point presentation for people to use in talks
      • This will be evolving document
    • On Organization and topics to cover
      • Split into 4 groups - We can do four groups! We did it the first edition of the technology book. Groups are free to divide further into subsub groups. We'll decide on group organizer at next call
        • 1) Telescope and site: Covers telescope, mount, site, power generation, etc...
        • 2) Cryogenics, cryostats and optics: Covers cryogenics (4K and mK), cryostats, windows, filters, lenses, HWP etc..
        • 3) Detector and readout: Covers detector (wafer and holder) and readout (warm/cold), etc...
        • 4) Data management: Covers DAQ, data transfer, simulation, analysis, etc...
        • Please think if we covered R&D topics well. Hopefully we can insert additional topics into these four groups.
      • Normalizing is important to make sure risk in group 1 is evaluated with same metric as in group 2
      • We'll have 1 combined all group meeting for every 3 sub-group meetings (assuming 1 meeting per week)
    • On how to evaluate R&D
      • Considering timing is important. There are different priority for pre-CD0, CD0, CD1, and CD2
      • For now, we should focus on R&D for pre-CD0, during CD0
      • Concern for not capturing dependencies between different R&D items were pointed out.
      • Approach that LSST took was shared
        • How to evaluate 'risk' when baseline is not well set - Related concern was raised during S4 meeting
        • Table that's complicated may prevent people to get engaged
        • For a R&D with evolving risk, we can separately write down specific risk/mitigation with a date for milestone
        • Some risk could have multiple mitigation method - Simply add more rows for mitigation
    • Action item for next meeting - We will have combined call again in 1 week.
      • Ideas on how to organize and evaluate R&Ds were posted. Also examples from LSST were shown. Please review and think about what is the best way to organize and evaluate R&D for CMB-S4
      • Also something to think about:
        • How to evaluate 'risk' when baseline is not well set - Related concern was raised during S4 meeting
        • Table that's complicated may prevent people to get engaged
        • Concern for not capturing dependencies between different R&D items were pointed out.

CMB-S4 Technology Book Telecon 2017-06-08

  • Submitted to astro-ph instrumentation
    • Submission status is current "on hold". Submission size is too large
    • I reduced 75MB original book to 29MB. But submission limit is 15MB
    • Asking for file size exception.
  • Listed contributors as authors on arXiv
  • Also added abstract to arXiv
    • CMB-S4 is a proposed experiment to map the polarization of the Cosmic Microwave Background (CMB) to nearly the cosmic variance limit for the angular scales that are accessible from the ground. The science goals and capabilities of CMB-S4 in illuminating cosmic inflation, measuring the sum of neutrino masses, searching for relativistic relics in the early universe, characterizing dark energy and dark matter, and mapping the matter distribution in the universe have been described in the CMB-S4 Science Book.

This Technology Book is a companion volume to the Science Book. The ambitious science goals of the proposed Stage-IV’ CMB-S4 will require a step forward in experimental capability from the current Stage-III experiments. To guide this process, the community summarized the current state of the technology and identify R&D efforts necessary to advance it for possible use in CMB-S4. The book focused on the technical challenges in four broad areas: Telescope Design; Receiver Optics; Focal-Plane Optical Coupling; and Focal-Plane Sensors and Readout.

  • Created new folder in repo to "freeze" first edition text (directly name "CMBS4_TechnologyBook_FirstEdition")
    • If we want to start second edition, we can continue to edit original link

CMB-S4 Technology Book Telecon 2017-06-03

CMB-S4 Technology Book Telecon 2017-06-01

  • Latest version: File:Cmbs4 instbook 20170601.pdf
  • Agenda
    • Endorser/Contributor list added
    • Readout intro MKID changed
    • Lorenzo is adding BICEP3/SPIDER to telescope table
    • Karwan is adding a bit more info on CLASS detector
    • Consistency improved
    • I think we should let S4 community to read final version (with endorser, updated table etc) over weekend.
    • Submit to astro-ph next week?
  • Note from the meeting
    • Add location information for Table 2-1
    • Implement suggestions from Lorenzo and Karwan
    • Check endorser/contributor list

CMB-S4 Technology Book Telecon 2017-05-29

CMB-S4 Technology Book Telecon 2017-05-25

  • Latest version: File:Cmbs4 instbook 20170525.pdf
  • Agenda
    • Edit/ Changes
    • Many small edits. Some longer comments from multiple readers: Most of them were requests for clarification for non-expert reader
    • Contributor/Endorser page added - [1]
    • Added beveled saw AR coating for silicon
    • Removed Pol modulator table
    • Removed TSL/PSL definition from every chapter. Now there's just one at intro
    • Comments?
    • Schedule
      • Finish collecting endorser/contributor by May 29th
      • Immediately circulate version with endorser/contributor list
      • Upload to astro-ph June 1st (Thursday next week)

CMB-S4 Technology Book File Upload 2017-05-22

CMB-S4 Technology Book Telecon 2017-05-18

  • Latest version: File:Cmbs4 instbook 20170517.pdf
  • Authorship (same style as science book? for ex. https://arxiv.org/abs/1610.02743)
    • Author - For science book, it is NOT on the pdf, but on arXiv as authors
    • Endorsers - Endorsers are on the pdf with name and institutions
    • Start collecting after Monday (last day to collect comments)
  • Comments
    • Comments from few people
      • ex. Update on CLASS fact, polmod for EBEX
  • Volunteers to read, comment on flow and consistency:
    • Telescope: chapter lead (Mike) - Made minor modifications. Signed off
    • Cold Optics: Ken to read first half + chapter lead (Jeff and Sean) - Ken went through first half of the chapter. Reads well
    • Optical coupling: chapter lead (Toki) - Need to fix typos etc
    • Readout: Shawn H. + chapter lead (Zeesh) -
    • Adrian to read from front

Notes from the Meeting

  • Author list
    • Idea: Follow science book example
    • Author shows up in arXiv website, but authors are not listed in the pdf
    • Endorsers do not show up in arXiv website (makes sense, as there's no feature to list endorsers), and shows up in the pdf
    • Since reader may obtain the Technology book through some other path (not from arXiv), maybe nice to have authors also listed in the pdf.
    • Ask Tom and John why the Science book took approach that they took (Toki)
    • List authors and endorsers in a single list, then put a start next to people that contributed?
    • Setup form (google form?) to collect author info
  • Comments
    • Systematics -> Systematics uncertainty, systematics error etc.
  • Schedule
    • By weekend, setup form to collect authors and endorsers info. Send around for comments (Toki)
    • Monday, send email around to collect authors and endorsers info (Toki)
    • Put together final version with author list by May 25th meeting
    • Sign off on final version at June 1st meeting

CMB-S4 Technology Book Telecon 2017-05-11

Notes from the meeting

  • Please encourage lab members (students, postdoc, PIs!) to read and comment
  • For readers: Good to focus on flow. Does it read well as single document? Comparing introduction of different sections to see how readers are introduced to different subjects would be helpful.
  • Volunteers to read, comment on flow and consistency:
    • Telescope: chapter lead (Mike)
    • Cold Optics: Ken to read first half + chapter lead (Jeff and Sean)
    • Optical coupling: chapter lead (Toki)
    • Readout: Shawn H. + chapter lead (Zeesh)
    • Adrian to read from front
  • Good to get feed back in 1 week (5/18, Thursday) such that we can make second announcement on 5/22 (Monday)

CMB-S4 Technology Book Internal Release 2017-05-08

File:Cmbs4 instbook 20170508 InternalRelease.pdf

CMB-S4 Instrument Telecon 2017-05-04

Latest PDF File:Cmbs4 instbook 20170503.pdf

  • Received many comments - Outstanding comments Instrument_Paper_Comment

https://cmb-s4.org/CMB-S4workshops/index.php/Instrument_Paper_Comment

  • Any major outstanding items?
  • Title for conclusion chapter
  • Schedule - Will release to S4 community on Monday May 8th

Note from the meeting

  • Outstanding items before release
    • Explanation for why TSL/PSL values were given - write draft (oki), then reach out to authors of the section
    • Introduction for some section could be expanded to make section clearer to non-expert readers
    • Change conclusion chapter's title to include "future work"
  • Timeline for release, collect comment, incorporate comments
    • Release Monday May 8th
    • 2 weeks to collect comments
    • 1 week to incorporate comments
    • comma, hyphen etc are still being worked on
    • Add enthusiastic sentences in email

CMB-S4 Instrument Internal Release Draft 2017-05-01

Latest PDF File:Cmbs4 instbook 20170501.pdf

We will release the document internally on May 8th

CMB-S4 Instrument Internal Release Draft 2017-04-30

Latest PDF File:Cmbs4 instbook 20170430.pdf

CMB-S4 Instrument Telecon 2017-04-27

Latest PDF File:Cmbs4 instbook 20170427.pdf

  • Major update that you would like to share about the book?
  • Any major outstanding items?
  • Schedule - Will release to S4 community on Monday May 1st

Note from the meeting'

  • Introduction modified - read and comment
  • Telescope chapter is done
  • Cold optics - Shawn/Abby to read, MMF section added, "meta material" removed from title
  • Detector - Ken commented how each technology is connected was not clear. Added sentences to make it more approachable
  • Readout - modified readout figure
  • Arthur to read and comment on start of each subsection
  • Release on Monday

CMB-S4 Instrument Telecon 2017-04-20

Latest PDF File:Cmbs4 instbook 20170420.pdf

  • Change highlights
    • Citation - Maria made citation updates
    • Executive Summary - John merged executive summary and introduction
    • Telescope chapter - Detailed comments from Abby, Toki made path through the chapter
    • Receiver Optics - We need someone to read through this chapter. Please find volunteer. Zeesh added paragraph about MMF future R&D. Need to add more detailed description of what meta-material is being discussed for MM sections
    • Detector-RF - Detailed comments from Ken, Toki made path through the chapter, there are left over work on consistency (comma usage, hyphen etc...)
    • Readout - Detailed comments from Jeff F., Zeesh is working through it
    • Conclusion -
  • Schedule - Can I release this on Monday? - Give weekend for pre-release read and comment. We can still edit as this will be internal release to CMB-S4 community

Note from the meeting

  • Citations should be OK now. No more ? mark
  • Exec summary combined with intro chapter. John still working on it. Suzanne will read.
  • Telescopes. Adrian is going to read through telescope chapter next. Abby’s comments incorporated.
  • Receiver Optics. Zeesh to commit new text on metal mesh R&D summary. Toki to add sentence defining meta materials. Shawn to read first half of chapter; Abby will read second half.
  • Optical Coupling. Ken’s comments incorporated. Ken will also provide more comments on grammar, style etc.
  • Sensors/Readout. Jeff’s comments mostly incorporated. Need to do another search and replace pass for things like MKID vs KID etc.
  • Conclusion - Suzanne made edits. Ready for comments
  • Schedule — People are making few changes still, and reviewers are actively reading. Release after (at) next meeting.

CMB-S4 Instrument Telecon 2017-04-13

Latest PDF File:Cmbs4 instbook 20170413.pdf

  • Agenda
    • Executive Summary / Introduction
      • John to merge executive summary and introduction
    • Telescope Chapter
      • Section 2.2.3 needs more intro to give context. Adrian will write short intro to this section. John will read and comment --> Latest PDF has section 2.3
      • Some change in systematics section
    • Receiver Optics (Cold Optics)
      • Intro needs work. For ex. second paragraph have statement that aren't true
      • John to read, comment, and edit this chapter. Jeff McMahon and Sean Bryan are chapter leads. Please share comments with them.
      • Metal mesh section lacks Prospects and R\&D Path for CMB-S4. Jeff, Sean and Lorenzo to work on this
      • Many citations [?]
      • There are still some figures with size > 1 Mb
    • Detector-RF
      • Suzanne is actively editing - Consistent use of terms, color, multi-chroic etc...
    • Readout
      • 2 citations still [?] - TES and FDM section --> Reichborn2010
    • Conclusion
      • Suzanne to look at conclusion chapter
    • Bibliography (from 4-13-2017 pdf)
      • Citations in cold optics chapter [?]
      • [30] The EBEX Collaboration, “EBEX Paper 1,” ApJ (2016) .
      • [31] The EBEX Collaboration, “EBEX Paper 2,” ApJ (2016) .
      • [72]
    • Schedule
      • Release today?
  • Note from the Meeting
    • Executive Summary / Introduction - John is actively editing
    • Telescope chapter
      • Adrian made editing path. Some sections (2.3, systematics section) were edited. Nearly done
    • Receiver optics
      • Adrian will make editing path for this chapter next
      • Push back on "Meta material" - Either use different name, or add clarification in body
      • Zeesh will write suggested paragraph for MMF path forward.
      • Maria to look into [?] citations in this chapter
    • Detector-RF
      • Suzanne is going to edit the chapter
    • Readout
      • Chapter is in good shape.
      • Maria will fix two [?] citations
    • Conclusion
      • Ask Suzanne if current conclusion is ready
    • Citation
      • Maria to look into citation [30],[31],[72]
      • 2 [?] Readout
      • Several [?] in Optics chapter
    • Volunteers for reading/commenting
      • Jeff, Ken and Abby volunteered to read and comment. Make suggestion on chapter/section
    • Schedule
      • We are converging. Release to S4 community next week

CMB-S4 Instrument Telecon 2017-04-06

Latest PDF File:Cmbs4 instbook 20170406.pdf

  • Agenda
    • Executive Summary / Introduction
      • John to merge executive summary and introduction
    • Telescope Chapter
      • Section 2.2.3 needs more intro to give context. Adrian will write short intro to this section. John will read and comment
      • All: Insert missing references. Send email to Maria s.t. she can check consistency of bibliography style
      • Figure size below < 1 Mb
    • Receiver Optics (Cold Optics)
      • Intro needs work. For ex. second paragraph have statement that aren't true
      • John to read, comment, and edit this chapter. Jeff McMahon and Sean Bryan are chapter leads. Please share comments with them.
      • Metal mesh section lacks Prospects and R\&D Path for CMB-S4. Toki/ Zeesh: Ask Jeff McMahon and/or Lorenzo to contribute (email sent)
      • Meta material is catchy name but perhaps not good way of describing some of our technology. Change it to something more descriptive throughout the chapter. Ex. Diced silicon coating
      • Many citations [?]
      • There are still some figures with size > 1 Mb
    • Detector-RF
      • Suzanne is actively editing - Consistent use of terms, color, multi-chroic etc...
      • 1 citations still [?] - Lenslet section
      • Reduced figure size < 1 Mb
    • Readout
      • Suppress subsections in readout chapter in Table of Contents (Zeesh)
      • 2 citations still [?] - TES and TDM section
      • Figure size < 1 Mb
    • Conclusion
      • Suzanne to look at conclusion chapter
    • Latex general
      • TOC subsubsection suppressed
      • Figure in telescope chapter changed to table
    • Schedule

CMB-S4 Instrument Telecon 2017-03-23

Latest PDF File:Cmbs4 instbook 20170323.pdf

Agenda

  • Executive Summary/ Intro organization
  • Internal sign-off readiness
    • Executive summary/ Intro / Conclusion
    • Telescope
    • Broadband optics
    • Detector-RF: Ready for comments
    • Readout:
  • Changes in the Technology book(please add)
    • Readout - Comments
    • Telescope - swapped summary table with the latest table
    • Acronym table removed from each chapter. One acronym table at very end
    • Consistent experiment's naming: Stage-III (etc...), CMB-S4 (not S4, not CMBS4)
    • Every technology now has: Description of the technology / Demonstrated performance / Prospects and R\&D path for CMB-S4
    • Minor improvements (space between chapter title & first line... high res figure, consolidating figures between detector-RF and readout)
    • Bibliography change
  • Note from the meeting
    • Executive Summary / Introduction
      • Executive summary reads more like intro
      • Intro is summary of executive summary, still quite rough
      • Merge two together. Call is overview or summary chapter
      • We should make clear that casual reader knows that overview chapter is where they should go
      • Executive summary says this document provides technology road map, but this book does not. It is a survey of the field
      • John to merge executive summary and introduction
      • We should link summary table of each chapter to this new overview chapter
    • Telescope Chapter
      • Figure 3 is actually table. Toki to see if he can fool LaTeX to think this is a table
      • Section 2.2.3 needs more intro to give context. Adrian will write short intro to this section. John will read and comment
      • All: Insert missing references. Send email to Maria s.t. she can check consistency of bibliography style
    • Receiver Optics (Cold Optics)
      • Intro needs work. For ex. second paragraph have statement that aren't true
      • John to read, comment, and edit this chapter. Jeff McMahon and Sean Bryan are chapter leads. Please share comments with them.
      • Metal mesh section lacks Prospects and R\&D Path for CMB-S4. Toki/ Zeesh: Ask Jeff McMahon and/or Lorenzo to contribute
      • Meta material is catchy name but perhaps not good way of describing some of our technology. Change it to something more descriptive throughout the chapter. Ex. Diced silicon coating
    • Detector-RF
      • Suzanne is actively editing
      • Consistent use of terms, color, multi-chroic etc...
    • Readout
      • A lot of editing work by Abby, Shawn and Zeesh
      • Zeesh: Remove institution names
    • Conclusion
      • Conclusion exists, but it should be revisited before releasing to CMB-S4 group"
      • Suzanne to look at conclusion chapter
    • Acronym/Bibliography
      • Removed acronym table from individual chapter. One table after conclusion chapter. Please let Toki know if you like previous style
      • Bibliography is in much better shape. Maria: Go through document to check ? marks. Send more references (or swap it with more appropriate citation) then let Maria know
    • LaTeX general
      • Table of content lists out subsubsection. Make it to only show down to subsection (Toki's action item)
      • Suppress subsections in readout chapter in Table of Contents (Zeesh)
      • Some figures are low res, some are too big in file size. Make PDf more portable (Zeesh and Toki)
    • Schedule
      • Some of us will be traveling next week, but we should work over email
      • Target: Internal sign off in 1 week

CMB-S4 Instrument Telecon 2017-03-16

Latest PDF File:Cmbs4 instbook 20170316.pdf

Agenda

  • Putting in one voice
  • Citation
  • Schedule to push to astro-ph
    • Circulate final draft: March 17th (end of next week)
    • 1 week to collect comments: March 24th
    • Send new draft with comments implemented
    • 1st week of April to submit to astro-ph


Note from the Meeting

  • One voice
    • Adrian sent around reminder email - Send email again
    • Keep active people in email loop to avoid conflicts. Send email around for big changes
    • Keep voice authoritative - Factual, snap shot of today's technology rather than Q&A
      • Telescope chapter modified to correct this
      • Maybe array packing density - detector-RF
      • Readout mux count? << should be OK.
  • Citation
    • No more empty entry
    • Bibliography
    • Small thing to make it more uniform
    • 600 citation from science book vs 300 technology book
      • Any category that lacks citation?
      • Check if there's appropriate citation - Chapter head + Maria (send email alarts)
    • One acronym at end of each book (Maria)
  • Schedule
    • Find fresh readers please - Read 1 chapter is already helpful
    • Internal sign off deadline - March 23rd (next meeting)
    • Closure comments. Threatning email - March 31st

CMB-S4 Instrument Telecon 2017-03-09

Latest PDF File:Cmbs4 instbook 20170309.pdf

* Technology book

    • Reminder: Please use (add comment, cross-off comment) Instrument_Paper_Comment
    • Remaining tasks for Ver 1 of the Technology book
      • One voice (at least w/ in each chapter)
      • Exec/intro/conclusion ok?
      • Telescope conclusion?
      • Bib looks good, but still missing some citations
    • Schedule to push to astro-ph
      • Circulate final draft: March 17th (end of next week)
      • 1 week to collect comments: March 24th
      • Send new draft with comments implemented
      • 1st week of April to submit to astro-ph

* Notes from 3rd day instrument session

    • Notes uploaded here: [2]
  • Would like to get regular update from CDT at instrument telecon
  • Technology book will be done soon. What's next?
    • Come up with technology road map
    • Should we put together hypothetical receiver to understand what needs to be developed for S4?
    • How do we coordinate input/output from each sub group << is this CDT's job?
    • Missing topics from current technology book
      • Cryogenics
      • Sites
      • Data Acquisition
      • Calibration
      • More detail/ thoughts on detector QC
      • Discussion on benefit of having different system (for systematics)
  • Standardize parameterization to facilitate technology comparison
  • Memo system: something like ALMA memo
    • Very useful to keep track of study and ideas
    • Should there be review process
    • Where to host/ maintain?
  • Representative from HPD - If R&D on rapid cooling system (for ex. 4K load lock system) is desirable, knowing such need early would be helpful

* Notes from the Meeting

  • Technology Book
    • Adrian, Suzanna, Shawn, and John to edit document to have one voice
    • Technology book is nice because it is neutral on presentation of technology. Telescope chapter had some speculation, but since telescope is very closely tied to measurement requirement being totally neutral is difficult.
    • Some citation is not easily accessible
      • Not every university/ national labs have access to every journal (if you are used to UC system, you are spoiled!)
      • Please point citation to arXiv if its available on arXiv
      • Please upload articles to arXiv if it is compliant with published journal's policy
      • Some citation that's hard to get to for some insitutions - SPIE, IEEE. If article is submitted to SPIE or IEEE, it is highly recommended to upload the article to arXiv
      • A lot of work went into citation. No more blank citation. Citation still need to be polished (at least have title, author, journal, year)
    • Suggested schedule looks ok
  • Going over 3rd day discussion / how we should organize after technical book submission?
    • Overview of CDT was given.
      • DOE&NSF
      • Need to have mission need before CD0. Want to have more than just science need
      • by June, make significant progress
    • Even though CDT will touch on systems engineering, this telecon should work in parallel to develop
      • Instrumentation development road map
      • Systems engineering
    • Should we study how past experiments done systems engineering?
      • Planck?
      • HEP experiments?
    • We should organize technical memo. ALMA memo is great example
      • How are ALMA memo organized/ managed?
      • Should we have some kind of internal review?
      • Toki to look into organization/ management of ALMA memo

CMB-S4 Instrument Telecon 2017-02-23

Latest PDF File:Cmbs4 instbook 20170223.pdf

Agenda

  • CMB-S4 Workshop
    • Please double check TSL/PSL tables << we'll refer to them at the SLAC workshop
    • Slides for plenary session to go over the technology book (30 min session): Slide here [3]
    • Parallel session (2 hours) - Short presentation, define next step, define what inputs and outputs are useful from each chapter for systems engineering.
    • 3rd day - Longer presentation, assign manpower to put together input/output document.
  • Technology book
    • Latex clean up done - thanks!
    • Small thing but... - Do we need caption for TSL/PSL table? I don't think its necessary
    • Intro/Exec Sum/Conclusion
      • Exec sum OK
      • Intro needs work
      • Conclusion can use
    • Telescope
      • New intro now in place. What is itemized bullet points after into? Seems unnecessary.
      • Conclusion need to be written (asked chapter leads)
    • Receiver optics
      • Rito's comment uploaded
      • Missing demonstration of Teflon/Nylon filter
      • Missing metal mesh AR detail
    • Detector-RF
      • Structure change (Horn-MKID section)
      • Organized horn / lenslet subsections
      • Level of detail across technology, clarification etc...
    • Readout
      • Need more fresh pair of eyes

Schedule

  • Circulate CMB-S4 technology book this weekend?
  • astro-ph few weeks after the meeting

Note from the meeting

  • CMB-S4 meeting
    • Plenary for Technology book
      • It is important to let audience know existence of TSL/PSL table, also let them know what it is. This can be copy and paste of LaTeX table
      • Perhaps simply TSL/PSL table and merge it into the presentation
      • Please send comments/suggestions to Toki and Zeesh. If you would like to discuss among S4 collaboration, please email s4_instrument mailing list
    • 2 hour parallel session
      • Extend coordination to Mike N. Nils H. and Steve P. for telescope/optics session. Detector/readout session coordination is happening thorough email between Zeesh, Jeff and Toki
      • 2 hour will be split as - 1 hour detector, then 1 hour readout.
      • Within this 1 hour, short presentation + input/output discussion?
      • Should we make time for short slides? Do we have time? A.I. make list of possible talk candidate + send out/collect requests for talks
    • Wednesday (3rd day) working day
      • Assign people to put together input/output document. Important input for systems eningeering work
      • Longer presentation to motivate collaboration and better coordination
  • Technology book
    • Executive summary / Intro/ Conclusion
      • Forward looking statement (about systems engineering and cost). Talk about little bit in intro, but include this in conclusion
    • Telescope section
      • Right now it is in Q&A format -> modify this to non-QA format for consistency with other chapters. Ask Mike, Nils and Steve first
    • Receiver optics
      • Might remove MMAR coating from this release if we don't get further traction
      • Nylon/Teflon filter will be done today
    • Detector
      • Big structure change
      • Abby to read through
      • Brad to look at how MKID section got modified
    • Readout
    • Bib
      • Maria actively working on it
  • Schedule
    • Release at end of this Saturday, s.t. it'll be available in people's laptop by Monday

CMB-S4 Instrument Telecon 2017-02-16

Latest PDF File:Cmbs4 instbook 20170220.pdf.pdf

Agenda

  • Agenda schedule available for CMB-S4 meeting at SLAC? Should we present on technical book at the meeting?
  • Discussion topics during breakout session for instrumentation group
    • Telescope and Receiver Optics
    • Detector Optical Coupling and Detector Readout
  • Technical book
    • Reminder: comments collected at Instrument_Paper_Comment - Chapter leads, please respond to comments
    • Intro/Exec/Conclusion - How's intro (Exec and conclusion is in ok shape)
    • Acronym table and Bibliography
    • Telescope - Intro (Adrian, uploaded the latest version?), conclusion? Toki got write up from Keith on BICEP3 section (A.I. Toki to upload this to repo)
    • Receiver optics - Comments from Ritoban included in the latest repo?
      • HWP table
    • Received detail - comments from Abby. Abby is editing repo. Toki to go through the chapter to add in other comments
    • Readout - Comments at Instrument_Paper_Comment.

Note from the meeting

* CMB-S4 coordination

    • Recommend to SOC that we give overview of the technology book before systems engineering (already completed)
    • During plenary session
      • Overview of current state of technology book & plan to finish
      • Next step
      • Zeesh and Toki to prepare slide and circulate before Thursday meeting (23rd)
    • During 2-hour parallel session
      • Find path/ define action item for next 6 month
    • During 3rd working day
      • Coordinate between people who actually run calculation/ writing based on discussion on 2-hour parallel session
      • Update from labs on developments they are doing toward CMB-S4

* Technology book

    • Comment
    • Latex clean up required
      • Toki,Zeesh,Maria, and Shawn to work on cleaning.
      • Use .gitignore etc to clean up
      • Rename/delete unused file
    • Word smith-ing, consistency still need to be worked on
    • Intro/Exec Sum/Conclusion
      • Exec sum and conclusion are ok
      • Adrian/Suzanne/John/Shawn to coordinate on intro
    • Telescope
      • Adrian to git push introduction again
      • Received comments from Keith. Toki to implement them
      • Poke Mike to write conclusion
    • Receiver optics
      • Sean uploading Rito's comment
      • Some sections still missing section
      • Citation still ? in this chapter
    • Detector-RF
      • Abby to continue editing
    • Readout
      • Need more fresh pair of eyes - Abby? << Detetcor-RF needs her!
      • Find pair of eyes to go through the chapter << A.I. Toki

* Schedule

    • CMB-S4 presentation draft by Feb 23rd telecon
    • CMB-S4 technology book draft by Feb 23rd telecon

CMB-S4 Instrument Telecon 2017-02-09

Latest PDF File:Cmbs4 instbook 20170209.pdf

  • Discussion topics
    • Reader comments (simple edits made directly on repository. Longer comments added to Instrument_Paper_Comment for chapter lead to take a look at)
      • Telescope: Jon Gundmundsson - reformat intro (other chapters starts with intro), worked on flow, BICEP3 complete?, missing conclusion
      • Receiver Optics: Ritoban Thakur - pdf with comments received
      • Detector: Abigail Vieregg
      • Readout: Natalie Roe - Simple edits uploaded to repository, domain -> division, 2 comments added to Instrument_Paper_Comment
    • Executive Summary/Intro
      • Introduction need to be cleaned up
    • Acronym table/ Bibliography
      • Acronym table is now at end of each chapter
      • Acronym table overflowing for cryo optics chapter and readout
      • Missing acronym definition for readout chapter
    • HWP table?
    • Edits/Comments
  • Schedule: Feb 20th sign off - 1 week before S4 meeting
  • Note from the meeting
    • Comments are collected at Instrument_Paper_Comment
    • Introduction/Executive Summary/ Conclusion
      • Executive Summary in good shape
      • Work on introduction chapter
      • John C. and Adrian to coordinate
    • Telescope chapter
      • Adrian has intro that's consistent with other chapters. It may not got uploaded to repo correctly. Adrian will take a look at it this week
      • Jon G. - Changed wording, missing sub section. Work on flow this week
    • Receiver Optics
      • Received comments from Ritoban
      • Coordinate with Sean/Jeff to work comments into current draft
      • Still missing text for MM AR coating, but it is converging
      • Maria, Sean and Karl to coordinate for HWP table
    • Detector
      • Abby is reading, editing and commenting.
    • Readout
      • Comments from Natalie included in repo. Longer comments in Instrument_Paper_Comment
      • Sort out FDM acronym
      • Please work with Maria to complete acronym table
    • Acronym/Bib
      • Acronym table is in much better shape
      • Acronym tables are not gitting within 1 page for receiver optics chapter and readout chapter
      • Some citations are still [?] in receiver optics chapter

CMB-S4 Instrument Telecon 2017-02-02

Latest PDF File:Cmbs4 instbook 20170202.pdf

  • Discussion topics
    • Acronym table/ Bibliography
    • Executive Summary
    • HWP table?
    • Edits/Comments
  • Notes from the meeting
    • Pick reader for each chapter (Toki to find volunteers)
      • Pick someone who is NOT expert in the topic
      • Telescope: Jon Gundmundsson
      • Optics: Ritoban Thakur
      • Detector: Abigail Vieregg
      • Readout: Natalie Roe
    • Acronym table / Bib
      • Suggest Maria what to include/exclude
      • For obvious inclusion/exclusion, make direct edit in github, but let Maria know
      • Be inclusive, but avoid obvious acronyms
      • Some acronyms are not defined correctly. Make edits or let Maria know
    • Executive summary / intro
      • Adrian/Suzanne/Shawn to discuss over weekend

CMB-S4 Instrument Telecon 2017-01-26

Latest PDF File:Cmbs4 instbook 20170126.pdf

  • Agenda
    • Discussion: Feb 2 is a more attainable goal for a final draft?
    • Acronym table - move to end of each chapter, some acronym table is over flowing
    • Comments from Ken Instrument Paper Comment
    • Check in from chapter leads
  • Notes from the meeting
    • March 2nd from last meeting is February 2nd
      • Please read with difference audience in mind. Brief reader, technical reader, etc...
      • Document can be mature enough for S-4 collaboration internal circulation by Feb 2nd
      • Present at S-4 meeting
      • astro-ph after S4 meeting
    • Acronym table - move to back of each chapter, be inclusive when defining what appears as "obvious" acronym.
    • Going over Ken G.'s comment (can be found in Instrument_Paper_Comment)
      • Chapter 2 (telescope chapter) does not have same structure as chapter 3,4,5
      • Executive summary for receiver optics reads well. Intro + bullet point high lights. Other chapters should follow similar style
      • Words are missing
      • (missed name) volunteer to regularize executive summary
    • HWP rotation table
      • Karl, Maria and Sean to coordinate on the table
    • Cold optics
      • MM AR coating is missing a bit of text, but most of technical details are there

CMB-S4 Instrument Telecon 2017-01-19

Latest PDF File:Cmbs4 instbook 20170119.pdf

  • notes from the meeting
    • Discussion: Mar 2 is a more attainable goal for a final draft. Let’s meet next week on Thursday to see where we are, with a big push to be completed by Mar 2.
    • Agenda for next week: Discuss executive summary, chapter summaries and conclusions to make sure everyone is in agreement that these are in good shape.
    • JC: will read the cold optics section and talk to Jeff about it next week / help work to get it finalized
    • JC: will read the conclusions since those are newer
    • KG: will look at the executive summary and chapter summaries and conclusions see how they flow. He will send these directlly to Toki.
    • MS: has put the table of acronyms on the github, but did not push the compiled pdf back — we can do that next week — she might like to change the labeling/ titles for it; please comment
    • MS: is fixing up repeated references and causing them all to have the same label
    • DB: is finishing up corrections to the FDM and will comb through for consistent definitions
    • CC: deadline of Jan 27 is tough but we do really need
  • Check in
    • Acronym, Bibliography (Maria)
    • Executive Summary, Intro, Conclusion (Adrian, Suzanne)
    • Telescope - signed off, please read and comment (Mike)
    • Optics - update? (Sean)
    • Detector - signed off, please read and comment (Toki)
    • Readout - signed off, please read and comment (Zeesh)
  • Reminder
    • Target date: January 31 that means document need to be done by January 27th
    • Use \comred{comment here} to comment in .tex
    • When editing, pay attention to styling outlined by Maria (see below)

CMB-S4 Instrument Telecon 2017-01-12

Latest PDF File:Cmbs4 instbook 20170112.pdf

  • Notes from this meeting
    • Title: Technology book is probably correct name for current state of this document
      • Check if science book refers to this book as instrument book or technology book
      • Check within this document how we refer to this document. Achieve consistency
    • Publish: Science team don't have plan to publish this. We can come back to this topic once we have a document.
      • Astroparticle physics
      • Scientific Instrument supplement?
    • Acryonym table .tex is in place, but compiling is challenging. Keep working on this
    • ExecSum/Intro/Conclusion was modified such that each chapter has intro and conclusion. Please read and comment
    • Cold optics chapter has new lead
      • Please send comments to Sean
    • Reminder:
      • Finalize in 2 weeks
  • Homework from last meeting
    • No plan to publish science book beyond astro-ph
    • Snowmass published on Astroparticle physics
    • Wiki to collect comments https://cmb-s4.org/CMB-S4workshops/index.php/Instrument_Paper_Comment
    • New optics section lead. Sean Bryan from Arizona. Johanna and Keith are also participating as editor
    • e-mail sent about releasing this document on Jan 31. Would it help if more senior person sends such email?
  • Check in
    • Document title: Instrument book? Technology book?
    • Acronym, Bibliography (Maria)
      • I see acronym file, but it is not included in compiled version.
    • Executive Summary, Intro, Conclusion (Adrian, Suzanne)
      • Conclusion exists
    • Telescope - signed off, please read and comment (Mike)
    • Optics - How's editing going? (Sean)
    • Detector - signed off, please read and comment (Toki)
    • Readout - signed off, please read and comment (Zeesh)
  • Reminder
    • Target date: January 31 that means document need to be done by January 27th
    • Use \comred{comment here} to comment in .tex
    • When editing, pay attention to styling outlined by Maria (see below)

CMB-S4 Instrument Telecon 2017-01-05

Latest PDF File:Cmbs4 instbook 20170105.pdf

  • Memo from the meeting
    • Acronym .tex completed. Upload after the meeting
    • Still need to work on bibliography
    • Need 1 more week to sign off on intro and conclusion - Adrian and Suzanne
    • Ask Shawn Bryan from Ariza to help out on optics section - Toki
    • Ready for community to comment - send email out with statement about draft is still in work in progress
    • Announcement to submit this on Jan 31st
    • Collect comments on wiki - Toki to setup wiki page for this
    • Publish to atsro-ph
    • Should we publish to a journal? Same journal as Snowmass proceeding? Ask science team (John/Tom) if they are going to publish science book to a journal - Toki
  • Check/In Discussion Topic
    • Acronym table/ Bibliography
      • Ready?
    • Intro and Conclusion
      • Adrian and Suzanne made big progress on intro
      • Suzanne has a first pass conclusion and we'll continue to coordinate so there is a full editing pass.
      • Report: Suzanne and I have been coordinating an editing pass at the Instrument Book to make it read closer to "one voice."
    • Telescope
      • Signed off for comment/edit
    • Optics
      • Pick new lead to make last push
      • Younger person to fill in blanks and bring this chapter to commentable state
      • Then ask Jeff to review
      • Nomination for such young person?
    • Detector-RF
      • Signed off for comment/edit
    • Readout
      • Implementing comments, especially for next generation R&D material. Help from Shawn Henderson
    • Schedule
      • Jan 5th deadline suggested by Suzanne
  • Commenting
    • Please use \comred{comment goes here} to add comment in .tex. Comment will show up as red text in the pdf.
      • Many comments made throughout document by Maria using bold text. Please look out for bold text for comment. Find it, then make changes.
  • Style consistency (suggested by Maria)
    • in the text use words for indicate numbers for example: from "1 or 2 bands" to "one or two bands". Another example: "three-axis mount" instead of "3-axis mount". But for expressions as 1000 TESes, use numbers not words.
    • Preferring CMB-S4 instead of S4 (few times in the next S4 was used).
    • Stage-II instead of Stage-2 or stage-2.
    • Numbered items listed in the text: (i), (ii).
    • ~ for space doesn't work. Use instead \, .
    • Medium size space between number and unit of measurement: 15\,GHz instead of 15 GHz or 15GHz.
    • Ranges of numbers, for example: (120--280)\,GHz instead of 120-280 GHz (since GHz refers to the entire range).
    • Lowercase for indicating the name of materials: alumina instead of Alumina.
    • Caption of figures/tables:\emph{ (Top) bla bla bla bla. (Left) bla bla bla}.

CMB-S4 Instrument Telecon 2016-12-23

Please download the latest version from here https://www.dropbox.com/s/4arql369mk6ay0a/cmbs4_instbook_20161223.pdf?dl=0

CMB-S4 Instrument Telecon 2016-12-15

Latest PDF - file upload not working -

  • Note from the meeting:
    • Readout
      • Implementing comments, especially for next generation R&D material. Help from Shawn Henderson
    • Intro and Conclusion
      • Adrian and Suzanne made big progress on intro
      • Poke them for conclusion after couple days
    • Optics
      • New lead? Johanna?
    • Schedule
      • Jan 5th deadline suggested by Suzanne
  • Commenting:
    • \comred{comment goes here} to add comment.
    • Maria used \textbf{comment goes here}.
      • Many comments made throughout document. Please look out for bold text for comment. Find it, then make changes.
    • Any method is OK! please make comment stand out s.t. we can chase them and fix it.
  • Style consistency (suggested by Maria)
    • in the text use words for indicate numbers for example: from "1 or 2 bands" to "one or two bands". Another example: "three-axis mount" instead of "3-axis mount". But for expressions as 1000 TESes, use numbers not words.
    • Preferring CMB-S4 instead of S4 (few times in the next S4 was used).
    • Stage-II instead of Stage-2 or stage-2.
    • Numbered items listed in the text: (i), (ii).
    • ~ for space doesn't work. Use instead \, .
    • Medium size space between number and unit of measurement: 15\,GHz instead of 15 GHz or 15GHz.
    • Ranges of numbers, for example: (120--280)\,GHz instead of 120-280 GHz (since GHz refers to the entire range).
    • Lowercase for indicating the name of materials: alumina instead of Alumina.
    • Caption of figures/tables:\emph{ (Top) bla bla bla bla. (Left) bla bla bla}.
  • To do
    • Introduction (Adrian)
    • Telescope (Mike)
      • signed off, comments added on executive summary
    • Optics (Jeff)
      • Made minor change to executive summary please check, sign off?
      • Still missing some technical detail (Toki can go through)
      • Get technical details in, then edit to make flow well
      • Window: Suzanne
      • Pol Mod: Maria, Akito
      • Lens: needs volunteer
      • Filters: needs volunteer
      • Testing: needs volunteer
    • Detector RF (Toki)
      • Respond to Maria's comments
      • signed off. Adrian to read through
    • Readout (Zeesh)
      • ready to sign off ?
    • Conclusion (Adrian/Suzanne) - Write about next step, Cost/schedule, Systematics, Global optimization
    • Acronym table/ Bibliography (Maria) - Make table, bib in order
    • Global comment
      • Document is not smooth
      • Write in one voice
      • One person to read through one chapter first
      • Then organize document end to end
      • Remove 'charge of this document' from each chapter, move this to introduction. Work on coordination between intro and executive summary
  • Schedule
    • CDT formed. December 15th to circulate to S4 collaborators. January to push this to astro-ph.


CMB-S4 Instrument Telecon 2016-12-08

Latest PDF File:Cmbs4 instbook 20161208.pdf

  • Memo from the meeting
    • Acronym - list of acryonym collected for entire book & chapter
    • Bibliography - need a bit of time to sort out, but should be quick
    • reference to Section wasn't 'latex-linked', need to be corrected
    • Stage-3 vs Stage-III: science written in capital roman (use Stage-III)
    • Let editors know pay attention about
      • Style on caption (left / right), use of Latin number, roman number
      • Space between number and unit, for ex 10\,GHz
    • Still material, on optics, Toki will write something.
    • Style consistency (suggested by Maria)
      • in the text use words for indicate numbers for example: from "1 or 2 bands" to "one or two bands". Another example: "three-axis mount" instead of "3-axis mount". But for expressions as 1000 TESes, use numbers not words.
      • Preferring CMB-S4 instead of S4 (few times in the next S4 was used).
      • Stage-II instead of Stage-2 or stage-2.
      • Numbered items listed in the text: (i), (ii).
      • ~ for space doesn't work. Use instead \, .
      • Medium size space between number and unit of measurement: 15\,GHz instead of 15 GHz or 15GHz.
      • Ranges of numbers, for example: (120--280)\,GHz instead of 120-280 GHz (since GHz refers to the entire range).
      • Lowercase for indicating the name of materials: alumina instead of Alumina.
      • Caption of figures/tables:\emph{ (Top) bla bla bla bla. (Left) bla bla bla}.


  • Commenting:
    • \comred{comment goes here} to add comment.
      • comments added to Intro/Executive summary - some changes were made directly
    • Maria used \textbf{comment goes here}.
      • Many comments made throughout document. Please look out for bold text for comment!
    • Any method is OK! please make comment stand out s.t. we can chase them and fix it.


  • To do
    • Introduction (Adrian)
      • some comments added, please sign off on intro after some edits
    • Telescope (Mike)
      • signed off, comments added on executive summary
    • Optics (Jeff)
      • Made minor change to executive summary please check, sign off?
      • Still missing some technical detail
      • Get technical details in, then edit to make flow well
      • Window: Suzanne
      • Pol Mod: Maria, Akito
      • Lens: needs volunteer
      • Filters: needs volunteer
      • Testing: needs volunteer
    • Detector RF (Toki)
      • Minor change made to executive summary
      • Respond to Maria's comments
      • signed off. Adrian to read through
    • Readout (Zeesh)
      • ready to sign off ?
    • Conclusion (Adrian/Suzanne) - Write about next step, Cost/schedule, Systematics, Global optimization
    • Acronym table/ Bibliography (Maria) - Make table, bib in order
    • Global comment
      • Document is not smooth
      • Write in one voice
      • One person to read through one chapter first
      • Then organize document end to end
      • Remove 'charge of this document' from each chapter, move this to introduction. Work on coordination between intro and executive summary
  • Schedule
    • CDT formed. December 15th to circulate to S4 collaborators. January to push this to astro-ph.


CMB-S4 Instrument Telecon 2016-12-01

Latest PDF

File:Cmbs4 instbook 20161130.pdf

  • To do
    • Acronym table/ Bibliography (Maria) - Make table, bib in order
    • Introduction (Adrian) - include description of TSL/PSL, add charge of this document (delete this from chapters)
    • Telescope (Mike) - signed off
    • Optics (Jeff) - implement editor's comment, edit help from S4 collaborators (Akito for pol mod, section 3.7 & 3.8 Maria)
    • Detector RF (Toki) - signed off. Adrian to read through
    • Readout (Zeesh) - ready to sign off ?
    • Conclusion (Adrian/Suzanne) - Write about next step, Cost/schedule, Systematics, Global optimization
    • Global comment
      • Document is not smooth
      • Write in one voice
      • One person to read through one chapter first
      • Then organize document end to end
      • Remove 'charge of this document' from each chapter, move this to introduction. Work on coordination between intro and executive summary
  • Schedule
    • I think train should start to leave for people to engage
    • Next week possible?
  • Meeting Note
    • Chapter sign off
      • Introduction - Please comment on basic structure. Coordinate with executive summary during larger edit*
      • Telescope signed off
      • Optics needs technical detail still need to be filled in
      • Detector-RF signed off
      • Readout is almost ready. It will be ready by next meeting
      • Conclusion - Need to get started. Adrian & Suzanne
    • Chapter Title
      • Telescope, suggested to change title to Telescope Design
      • Optics, suggested to change title to Receiver Optics
      • Detector-RF, suggested to change title to Focal plane optical coupling,
      • Readout, suggested to change title to Focal plane sensors and readout
    • Optics Chapter
      • Still missing some technical detail
      • Get technical details in, then edit to make flow well
      • Window: Suzanne
      • Pol Mod: Maria, Akito
      • Lens: needs volunteer
      • Filters: needs volunteer
      • Testing: needs volunteer
    • Global editing comment
      • Read choppy
      • Mention same thing (when similar technologies are being compared) in each technology
      • Single voice
      • Nominate few
    • Schedule
      • December 8th - Get all chapters, intro/conclusions in editable form
      • December 15th - Send around to S4 group s.t. they can read over winter break
      • Jan 2017 - astro-ph ?
      • CDT started, so we should get this out soon to help their process


CMB-S4 Instrument Telecon 2016-11-17

Latest PDF File:Cmbs4 instbook 20161117.pdf

  • Sign off from chapter leads
    • telescope
    • optics
    • detetcor-rf
    • readout
  • Introduction
  • Conclusion
  • Plan - Can we get sign off before Thanks giving break? s.t. we can circulate draft to S4 collaborators to read over turkey and pumpkin pie

Meeting Note

  • Acronym table
    • Maria will tackle this
    • Table for over all document AND each chapter
    • Redefine acronym for every chapter
  • Bibliography is not in order
    • Maria will fix this
  • Global comment
    • Document is not smooth
    • Write in one voice
    • One person to read through one chapter first
    • Then organize document end to end
    • Remove 'charge of this document' from each chapter, move this to introduction
  • Introduction
    • Description of TSL/PSL
    • Add 'charge of this document' to intro
  • Telescope
    • Nils is finishing a section
    • Mike to read over entire chapter and sign off
  • Optics
    • Pol mod section: Akito
    • 3.7, 3.8: Maria
  • Detetcor-RF
    • Chapter is ready - Adrian to go over the chapter
  • Readout
    • Including Suzanne's comment
    • Should be ready to sign off before Zeesh takes off on Friday
  • We still need conclusion for entire document
    • Adrian & Suzanne to tackle
    • Write about next step
    • Cost/schedule
    • Systematics
    • Global optimization

CMB-S4 Instrument Telecon 2016-11-10

Latest PDF File:Cmbs4 instbook 20161110.pdf

  • Detector-RF: Summary table updated (finished?)
  • Readout: Summary table added

Reminder/ Target Date

  • Intro (Adrian)
    • finish intro, start on conclusion
  • Conclusion
    • Need volunteer
  • Section leaders (telescope, optics, detector-rf, readout):
    • sign off on executive summary
    • fix broken link (bib, figure, table)
    • Add summary table, end of section summary (optics group)
    • Please ask sub-section editors to sign off by next meeting (Nov 10th)
  • Target date to circulate with S4 Collaborators
    • Nov 17th (2 weeks)

Meeting Note

  • PDF is in pretty good shape. Summary tables started for optics/detetcor-rf/readout
  • Section leads: Please fix hyperlinks within your chapter. Coordinate with Toki if latex config is not clear
  • Zeesh: let's meet locally (Zeesh and Toki) to go over document next week. Zeesh and Toki will meet Thurs/Fri of next week
  • Section leads and editors: Let's have editable draft by Wed next week (Nov 16)
    • Sign off within a chapter by Tue next week (Nov 15)

CMB-S4 Instrument Telecon 2016-11-03

Latest PDF File:Cmbs4 instbook 20161103.pdf

  • Detector-RF: Comment on summary table?
  • Detector-RF: Summary line at feed section changed to Table format

Reminder/ Target Date

  • Intro/Conclusion
    • finish intro, start on conclusion
  • Section leaders (telescope, optics, detector-rf, readout):
    • sign off on executive summary
    • fix broken link (bib, figure, table)
    • Add summary table, end of section summary (optics group)
    • Please ask sub-section editors to sign off by next meeting (Nov 10th)
  • Target date
    • Nov 17th (2 weeks)

Meeting Note

  • Schedule reminder (especially important for section leads)
  • Detector-RF table: Change antenna to something like antenna + feed, pixel
  • Detector-RF table: Change - to something more descriptive. Check mark for completed?


CMB-S4 Instrument Telecon 2016-10-26

Postponed meeting until next week

Latest PDF File:Cmbs4 instbook 20161026.pdf

  • Detector-RF: summary table updated with single/multichroic antenna. Added TSL and PSL
  • Summary line at feed section changed to Table format - looks much better. Will convert other summaries to this format as well
  • Summary of chenges File:CMBS4 Instrument DetSummaryTableChange 20161026.pdf

Reminder

  • Please keep editing as self-imposed deadline is approaching
  • intro/conclusion
  • edit
  • fix broken link
  • finish intro, start on conclusion

CMB-S4 Instrument Telecon 2016-10-20

Latest PDF File:Cmbs4 instbook 20161020.pdf

  • Intro started
  • TRL summary table added
  • Edit for telescope and readout sections
  • Detector-RF: summary table and short summary at end of each section added

Discussion Topics* Started on intro (page 1 in pdf)

  • TRL table (page 117 in pdf)
  • Comments and suggestions for summary table (page 118 in pdf for example)
  • Comments and suggestions for short summaries at end of each technologies (page 87 in pdf for example)
  • Reminder of action items for each lead
    • Telescope: Please work on executive summary, links are broken
    • Optics: Please finish some sections, summary
    • Detector-RF: Start editing, links are broken
    • Readout: Add summary table
    • Intro/Conclusion: Adrian
    • Self-imposed deadline of Oct 31st

Meeting Notes

  • Intro
    • Short sentences will evolve into paragraph
    • Will write more text around CD figure that Steve Padin made
    • Please send comments
  • TRLs
    • NASA TRL was too finely tuned, made a bit coarse
    • (TSL) Technology status level
    • (PSL) Production status level
    • 5 levels rather than 9 levels that NASA uses
    • Maybe 5 for PSL is too many? maybe 3 is enough? Let's try as is (5). There's something to have same number of ladders for both TSL and PSL
  • Table
    • Challenging table to make
    • Maybe add anticipated date to hit 5
    • Current organization favors multichroic detector approach. Single colored is so easy to make, to be fair we should weigh single color technology fairly
    • Path to CMB-S4 can be replaced with PSL
    • TRL => TSL/PSL ?
    • Modify table to have separate entry (rows) for single color/ multichroic feed (action item for Toki to make new Table and send out). Probably cold optics will have to do something similar
  • Summary box at end of each technology
    • Turn box into table for better organization (action item for Toki)
  • Reminder for section leads and intro/conclusion
    • edit
    • fix broken link
    • finish intro, start on conclusion

CMB-S4 Instrument Telecon 2016-10-13

Latest PDF File:Cmbs4 instbook 20161013.pdf

  • Executive summary for telescope taken from section 2.1 - Please edit executivesummary.tex
  • Skeleton for optics summary added (Section 3.10)
  • First pass for detector-RF summary added (Section 4.8)

Discussion Topics

  • Summary for each chapter - Need to fill out optics. Transfer readout summary from F2F
  • Add introduction (Adrian?)
  • Add conclusion (Adrian?)

Meeting Notes

  • Executive summary should have intro that introduces four executive summaries
  • Summary table at end of each chapter
    • Make portrait table, fold-out? (Toki to make a example)
    • More concise
    • Keep 3 categories, but change title: Lab demonstrated, Sky demonstrated, Path to enable S4
    • Give reference to sections
    • Add 1-line 3-category summary at end of each technology as well
    • Try out TRL on detector-RF to see how it looks like. Adrian and Toki to come up with TRL definition to try out
  • Telescope: Please work on executive summary, links are broken
  • Optics: Please finish some sections, summary
  • Detector-RF: Start editing, links are broken
  • Readout: Add summary table
  • Intro/Conclusion: Adrian

CMB-S4 Instrument Telecon 2016-10-06

Latest PDF File:Cmbs4 instbook 20161002.pdf

  • Figure and reference added.
  • Some references are still [?], each section leader please check
  • Some sections are incomplete, each section leader please check

Discussion Topics

  • Add introduction (need author)
  • Add conclusion (need author)
  • Add executive summary for telescope (Mike, Nils, Steve?)
  • TRL table for each sections

Target publication date: Oct 31st

Meeting Note

  • Adrian will take a look at intro/conclusion
  • Section 2.1 from telescope is a potential start for intro
  • Move section 2.1 to telescope executive summary
  • Summarize each technology in 3 categories. Table at end of each chapter (hmwk for each section leader)
    • Lab demonstration
    • Sky demonstration
    • Future R&D
  • Zeesh already summarized this at Chicago F2F meeting. Zeesh to send out example for other section leads to take a look at


CMB-S4 Instrument Telecon 2016-09-29

Discussion Topics

  • Combine 4 documents into 1 document
    • File:Cmbs4 instbook 20160923.pdf
    • First attempt on organizing 4 papers - Same style as science paper. (still need to link figures and bib)
    • Target date for 4 drafts & combined draft
    • Add intro/executive summary for entire document
    • Add conclusion

Meeting Note

  • Meeting Frequency
    • Instrument high level telecon every week
    • Individual tech team bi-weekly
  • 1st instrument paper target date
    • Oct 31st
  • No system optimization group in this version
    • Briefly mention system optimization is necessary in intro
    • Adrian volunteered
  • Come up with TRL for each technology
    • NASA TRL can be confusing and might not be applicable to this technology
    • Come up with own TRL, for ex:
      • Lab demo
      • Sky demo
      • Steps for next step
  • Next document, come up with technology requirements

CMB-S4 Instrument Telecon 2016-09-15

  • Discussion Topics
    • Circulate draft
    • Presentation coordination (15 min + 15 min)
    • Charge for sessions:
      • Very brief primer for non-experts - limited to 2 slides
      • Brief overview of options and requirements of each sub-system
      • Comparison of options / Pros and cons.
      • Is it sufficiently developed for designing in FY19 and implementing in FY20?
      • Pre-CD1 R&D required? If so, how much? Would the R&D budget and timeline be reasonable?
      • What are the highest priority R&D or technical demonstrations to be done. When?

CMB-S4 Instrument Telecon 2016-09-08

  • Discussion Topics
    • Circulate draft date: Sept 12th ok for all groups? It will give 1 week for collaborators to read and comment
    • Should we put all 4 drafts together? Intro to this over all instrument white paper document?
    • Where to publish, when to publish
    • Any comments and suggestions before S4 meeting

snap shot of current draft

note from the meeting

  • All four instrument white papers send out readable draft on September 12th (coming Monday). Send 1 e-mail with 4 url links to invite collaborators to read and comment
  • Combine four white papers into one document with exec summary and intro few weeks after the S4 meeting. White paper coordinators will organize this effort.
  • We will meet again same time next week. Each white paper team representative will circulate drafts of presentation for S4 at the meeting s.t. we can be coherent.


CMB-S4 Instrument Telecon 2016-07-05

  • Proposed scope/charge for the collection of white papers: "Summarize the current state of relevant technologies for CMB-S4 and to identify R&D efforts to advance them for evaluation for possible use in CMB-S4”
  • Efforts have already started on the following proposed white papers:
    • Readout and Detection (current lead organizers Zeesh and Kent)
      • electronics, SQUIDs, TESs, KIDs
    • RF Detector Design (Toki and Jeff)
      • coupling through to, but not including, the detectors
    • Cold Optics (Toki and Zeesh)
      • lenses, filters, polarization modulators
    • Telescopes and Optics Design (Niemack)
      • reflective optics and how they couple to reimaging optics
      • refractive telescopes

We feel that the groups should have broader participation from the community. As the participation grows, it might make sense to spread the effort around and have more people serve as co-organizers. That said, the plan is to have small groups focused on writing the white papers. There will be plenty of opportunity once they are drafted for feedback from the larger community. The drafts are being compiled on Github so everyone can read them as they are written.

Proposed Deadline for White papers: Signed off by the working groups and distributed for broad feedback, i.e., posted on CMB-S4 website by July 31.


Links that are useful for discussion (telecon notes etc) https://cosmo.uchicago.edu/CMB-S4workshops/index.php/Main_Page


github link (where we are uploading .tex files) https://github.com/CMB-S4/Memos


Meeting notes

Attendees John R., John C., Kam A., Kent I, Adrian, Mark Devlin, Toki, Darcy, Yuji, Dale Lee, Amy Bender, Jeff Filippini, Mike Niemack, Nils Halverson, Matt Dobbs, Jeff M, Akito, Steve Padin, Brad Johnson

Notes

  • Summarize (survey) current (and candidate) technology. TRL
  • Collect R&D topics, premature to down select
  • Let’s get going/ what’s been done meeting?, Bring people up to speed
  • A.I. Set e-mail list for these topics then send email to broad lists of people
  • How does this instrument white paper goes w/ science paper?
  • Science book is moving along
  • Next few weeks
  • Science we _want_ to do, science driven
  • Whatever we write will evolve with time
  • Deadline for write up
    • July 31 Set in stone?
    • July 31st, would be nice to have science book at presentable level
    • No need to instrument paper/section to be coupled to this
    • No real deadline, but should not drag out
    • For ex. cold optics, somewhat mature - 1 page per technology. Takes few hours for a person to write about their technology.
    • Pushing for earlier date, with 1 page we should be able to get this together quickly. But it should be good to spend some time to put together good text
    • A bit more time would be great, if we can decouple this from science book. Should we target September S4 meeting?
    • More work to do for science book
    • Draft by August 31st, circulate to larger group by this date
  • Text should be slightly more than what we have on HD
  • Should be consistent with R&D plan that was sent to DOE
    • Some people have not read this
    • Instrument white paper and this DOE plan should not diverge
    • Sent around about 10 days ago?
    • Roadmap, time scale, DOE talking to NSF etc
    • Next 6 month evaluate/survey technology
    • Starting R&D next year
    • Ready to start fully build FY19
    • Document is not restrictive. Roadmap - Technology exists, we don’t need yrs and yrs of R&D but we don't know how to mass produce
    • Positive message - technology exists, DOE’s expertise on large scale deployment
  • There are a lot of thing we can say BEFORE mature science forecast is in place
    • For ex. A lot of detectors!
  • Although actual people working on a document might be small, It is important to let people know what is going on.
    • E-mail list used for workshop?
    • Keep log on wiki
    • Be open
    • Wiki is completely public
    • Instruction on wiki for how to get on github, how to use git
    • Github as repository for white paper we are writing (latex)
    • Make github public readable?
    • Every telecon (wkly, biwkly), put it up the latest version on wiki
    • How to create more mailing list?
    • Do we really want that many?
    • 1 mailing list for instrument
  • How to open this up nicely?
    • Include link to existing document in blast
  • No link for telescope yet - Nils, Steve, Mike to organize telescope
  • 1 instrument mailing list s4_instrument
  • Announce telecons on large mailing list
  • Can we make mailing list not be moderated?
    • There were some wacky thing that going, so keeping moderated is good idea
    • Box to check when sending email out…
    • Let’s try to make it as open as possible
  • E-mail blast
    • Link to existing wiki/documents
    • Include milestone
    • Summary of scope
    • Jeff will circulate draft to people on this call before sending out to larger group