From CMB-S4 wikiJump to navigationJump to search
Back to Harvard-2017 main page
Parallel Session S3: relation to space and balloons (Chair: Shaul Hanany) [Jefferson 356]
Post talks here.
Notes from session
- Shaul starts presentation at 9:40 AM
- decadal review advises both NSF and NASA
- emphasis on NASA invests in space missions
- review of ground/space complementarity
- PIXIE, LITEBIRD, CORE, EPIC forecasts mentioned
- 8 Probe Mission Studies underway, probe mission = $400M to $1B
- the inflation probe study is currently called "PICO"
- PICO has a steering committee, executive commitee, working groups
- discussion point: What is the cohenet probe/S4 story for the decadal? highlight complementarity.
- requesting both S4 and prob in decadal will be challenging
- unique science goals from space -- tau, for example. is this compelling?
- risk of null r result is a challenge for space mission.
- story about WFIRST ...
- discussion about complementarity pros/cons ...
- one option for probe: highlight both strenghts and complementarity
- challenge -- S4 can't credibly say that it needs a satellite to be successful
- LIGO example ...
- Shaul summarizes at 10:25 AM: complementarity argument is reasonable, more discussion with a wider group is reasonable and appropriate.
Action items/Next steps
Summarize action items here