For a list of Governing Board candidates, see this page: https://cmb-s4.org/wiki/index.php/Governing_Board_2020
- 1 Science Council Co-Chairs
- 2 Membership Committee Chair
- 3 Publications and Speakers Committee Chair
Science Council Co-Chairs
Over the course of the next two years the Science Council will play important roles in
- Ensuring that CMB-S4 activities are fundamentally driven by exciting scientific opportunities
- Communicating the value of the science that will be enabled by CMB-S4, on its own and in the context of other observations and experiments, both internally and to external audiences.
- Deriving measurement requirements from science requirements, and documenting this process, in support of DOE CD-1 / NSF PDR reviews
- Developing a list of Key Science Topics
There is plenty of scientific expertise in the Science Council. Perhaps more than additional scientific expertise and perspectives, what’s needed are skills that help the Science Council fulfill its roles. We believe that the Science Council would be most effective with SC co-chairs that are
- Willing and able to delegate and collate
- This means requesting input from the right people, synthesizing the received info, and distributing it appropriately.
- Able to inspire work from what are often unfunded volunteers
- Most of the key tasks of the SC are mission-critical but not funded, these need to get done by people that are actually being funded to do other work.
- Able to work with multiple groups (the SC, ET, DM, and TC/Project) to find the intersection of what’s helpful, what’s expected, and what’s possible to do
- Multiple groups means sometimes conflicting requests and inconsistent information that needs to get reconciled before action can be taken
- Willing and able to run effective meetings
- The SC has a broad mandate; keeping tabs on all the moving parts in regular meetings requires structure and efficiency.
Science Council Co-Chair Candidates
Membership Committee Chair
The Membership Committee chair organizes and facilitates the activities of the Membership Committee. As an ex-officio member of the Executive Team, the Chair attends those weekly telecons. Committee meetings are held on an as-needed basis, approximately monthly but more frequently when business requires it. The largest single task, now that Collaboration membership is fairly steady-state, is gathering and evaluating the annual activity reports.
Membership Committee Chair Candidates
Publications and Speakers Committee Chair
The Chair of the Publication and Speakers committee organizes the Publication Board and the Speakers Bureau. The Chair is an ex-officio member of the Executive Team and attends those telecons weekly. For the Publication Board, the main responsibilities are to shepherd projects through the proposal and review processes, with the help of the other committee members as deputies, and to facilitate discussion within the Board regarding policy decisions. For the Speakers Bureau, the main responsibilities are to maintain, with the help of the Bureau, a list of relevant meetings, to inform the collaboration of speaking opportunities, to help organize sessions at the national meetings, recruit speakers, and ensure that requests for talk approvals to the Bureaus are discussed and approved in a timely manner.